North Lindsey College
University Campus


01724 294030


North Lindsey College
DN17 1AJ

Exam Services

  • Examinations – Private Candidates
  • ‘On demand’ exams
  • GCSE / A Levels
  • Private rooms
  • Access Arrangements
  • HE examinations
  • Replacement certificates

    Examinations – Private Candidates

    Private candidates can be accommodated here at North Lindsey College for certain qualifications including:

    AAT accounting
    Functional Skills (Mathematics / ICT only)
    GCSE / A Levels
    HE examinations for distance learners

    ‘On demand’ exams

    On demand exams are exams that can be sat at a convenient time for the candidate. These include AAT accounting and functional skills and can be booked up to 5 working days before the exam. These are online exams sat in our computer room.
    Exams are available (subject to staff and room availability) Monday – Friday. We do not offer any weekend exams. We generally have a daily AM session around 10am / a PM session around 1.00pm and occasional evening session around 6.00pm
    Please fully complete and return the application form external candidate to  
    You will need to call the Examinations team to discuss exam availability and we will then be able to give exact times and dates of when you can undertake your exam.

    GCSE / A Levels

    GCSE and A Levels are on set dates and times as given by the awarding bodies and cannot be taken at any other date or time.
    Examinations due to be taken in the Summer Series must be applied for by the 3rd week in January and fully paid no later than the 2nd week in February. 
    Resits for the November Series (GCSE English and mathematics only) must be applied for and fully paid no later than 3rd week of September. 
    Exact dates can be found on the application form private candidate which needs to be fully completed and returned to 

    GCSE entries cannot be accepted where the subject includes either coursework / speaking and listening elements or any sort of practical activity (this includes English and most Languages). We can offer GCSE Science (either individual or combined) via AQA ONLY and the attached form (click here) must be completed before we can accept the entry. 


    An alternative to these may be the Pearson iGCSE, however you will need to ensure that this will be accepted down the line by university if you are going there.

    We can offer no advise as to which course specification / awarding body to do; that is down to your choice.

    We DO NOT accept any late entries.


    We reserve the right to not accept any private candidates where; we are unable to offer the correct facilities / we don’t have any exams taking place / full information has not been provided to us / college deadline dates have passed. Please be aware that college deadline dates are earlier than the awarding body dates to allow us to process all internal and external entries that we have.

    Private rooms

    We are unable to offer private rooms for GCSE English or mathematics due to the number of students we have sitting these exams. 
    We may be able to offer private rooms for other exams subject to staff and room availability. The invigilation for this is charged at a further £7.00 per hour.

    Access Arrangements

    We are only able to provide access arrangements (exam concessions such as extra time) to students who have a medical disability. We are unable to offer arrangements to any other candidates as these arrangements have to be evidenced by the tutors and SENCo as being the candidates normal way of working within the classroom, which we are unable to do for private candidates.
    Enquiries can be made by emailing or calling 01724 294113. We aim to respond to email queries within 3 working days.


    HE examinations

    Please call 01724 294113 to discuss


    Replacement certificates

    To obtain a replacement certificate you will need to contact the awarding body that you achieved your qualification with directly.

    Please see the links below to the examination boards used here at the College. You can contact the relevant examination board about replacement certificates.

    Examination boards