When studying this course, you will learn all the basic tools you will need to start your journey in light vehicle maintenance. The course explores the core aspects of modern vehicle technology including the repair and maintenance of engines, cooling systems, steering, suspension, brakes and exhausts.
Units you may study include:
· Skills used in the automotive environment
· Compression ignition engine systems
· Engine liquid cooling lubrication systems
· Steering and suspension systems
· Vehicle exhaust and braking systems
· Routine vehicle maintenance process and procedures
· Vehicle wheels and tyre construction and maintenance
· Vehicle driveline maintenance
· Introduction to spark and compression ignition fuel systems
· Spark ignition systems maintenance
· Basic vehicle valeting and light vehicle construction
· Health and safety practices in vehicle maintenance
· Employability skills
50% Assessment – Coursework
50% Assessment – Exam
Ideally at least 4 GCSEs or an Entry Level 3 qualification, but this is subject to discussion at your interview. If you haven’t already achieved a GCSE grade 5 or grade C in English or Maths, then you will study either GCSE or Functional Skills English or Maths alongside your other qualifications. Acceptance to the programme will be subject to a DBS check.
Depending on your situation, you may be able to access a range of financial support available.