This qualification is aimed at anyone seeking to improve their understanding and awareness of suicide and self-harm. The knowledge individuals will gain is not sector-specific but can be applied to a broad range of personal and professional situations.
Individuals who may find this self harm training course useful to their professional life include: teachers, mental health workers, crisis helpline volunteers, support workers, individuals in a safeguarding role, parents or guardians, and others working with individuals who may be at increased risk of self-harm or suicide.
Distance / Online
8 to 12 weeks on average
Unit 1: Introduction to suicide and self-harm awareness
- Section 1: Understand what is meant by self-harm and suicide
- Section 2: Understand the triggers which might cause someone to self-harm or attempt suicide
- Section 3: Understand media and societal attitudes to self-harm and suicide
Unit 2: Recognising the signs of suicide and self-harm in individuals
- Section 1: Signs, thoughts, feelings and behaviour
- Section 2: Understand how to initially approach someone who may be self-harming or considering suicide
Unit 3: The principles of suicide and self-harm prevention
- Section 1: Understand the role of conversation in the prevention of self-harm and suicide
- Section 2: Understand the importance of family and friend support in the prevention of self-harm and suicide
- Section 3: Know support and treatment options available to individuals and families in relation to self-harm and suicide
Unit 4: Support for individuals when dealing with grief after suicide
- Section 1: Understand the role of suicide prevention campaigns
- Section 2: Understand the importance of encouraging healthy coping strategies
- Section 3: Understanding grief following suicide and the impact it can have on individuals
- Section 4: Understand the reach of grief following suicide
- Section 5: Understand the importance of support for those affected by grief following suicide
Depending on your situation, you may be able to access a range of financial support available.